Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bear Lake? Valentines? What????















Our little Valentines getaway last night!














When the rash was first starting to appear














Poor baby.



















All over the place














And another



Yeah so pretty much our plans of a nice little getaway to Bear Lake for the weekend went down the crapper. We were so excited to have a weekend of friends, fun, snowmobiling, sledding, food, etc etc etc. Thursday night we were packed and ready to head out the door and i get home at nine thirty to have Justin tell me Brea had a temp of 102.4. So with our car packed, we decided to wait the night out to see how she did. Well the next morning her temp was a little under 102.o, and she was acting fine and with tylenol and ibuprofen it slowly crept back down, so we decided to just head up to Bear Lake. Besides being fussy, Brea did pretty good all day friday and we had a lot of fun. But Brea kept choking on her food and threw up because she started gagging. Well we put her down for the night and she was miserable all night long, waking up and crying. Finally at five am i took her temp again and she was at 104.4 and was a furnace. I got up put her in the bath and tried to get her temp down. We started packing up to head back down to Orem. I was bummed to leave but i was more worried about being far away with a sick baby. So we went to the doctors which ended up being an awful experience. They did the strep test that came back negative, they catheterized my poor little baby, and then sent us down for blood work. This was a nightmare. I do not know how moms of really sick babies do this over and over, it gave me an understanding and compassion for them. They tried four different times to get a vein for the blood culture all the while i am holding Brea down while she is screaming and looking at me with her sad eyes full of tears wondering why i am not helping her. I felt like the worst mom in the world as they tortured her. After finally telling them that they are done and they are not trying again, they gave her two more heel sticks. I left there exhausted and felt like an abusive parent for allowing it to happen for so long. Brea had cried her self into exhaustion and came out with bandaids all over her body. The blood work showed no elevated WBC's, so they thought it was something viral. We would get the rest of the labs back on Monday. So Brea continued on with her fever over 104.0 until Monday morning. The URinary analysis showed no UTI, there was no H1N1, and no RSV. So it was frustrating wondering what the heck was wrong with her. Soon after, Brea broke out with a rash across her chest and back and all over her face and neck. I called my dad and he said it sounded like Roseola. So after researching it more and bringing her in to the doc, we finally know what has been going on. I am just glad we know what has been causing the high fever, but poor Brea is covered in this ugly rash. I guess most kids get this, but it is a pain until you know what it actually is because you go through all this testing for nothing. Now i feel worse that i let her be attacked by the stupid lab phlebotomist. To make it all worse, me and Justin have been sick as well, so not fun. Well, the joys and stress of parenthood. I wouldn't trade it though, i love my baby and hope she starts feeling better soon. And i hope this rash clears up on her pretty face. I guess we wont plan a vacation anytime soon, something always comes up!!

9 comments:

K. Crisler said...

That is a bummer. I hope you all get well.

McGiven Family.... said...

Oh my gosh that is so sad. Sounds like your weekend was as good as ours! We had 3 sick kids and avoided Bear Lake so we wouldn't infect Brea and Emmitt. I am so sorry she has been so sick. I hope she is feeling better soon. We will all have to get together soon and hang out to make up for the fun weekend we all missed out on.

Heather said...

I am sooo sorry! I would've been crying if I had to do what you did. You're a great mom! Thanks for coming even though it was for a short time. We will definitely have to do something fun again once all the kiddos are better. I'm glad it wasn't RSV or something like that. You'll have to tell me more about what she had.

{lindy baker cakes} said...

What a horrible week you've had. Blake misses his Brea bug. And I miss my Sar Berar. Get better!

Becky said...

It is so hard to see your babies be sick! So sorry you had to go through that. Hope she's all better now!

The Bucks said...

oh my goodness that is soooo sad!! Poor little Brea!! :o( I love the first picture of you and Justin at dinner sharing your dinner....It reminds me of going out to eat all those times with yall because you always shared your dinner!!! saaaad....we miss it!! Come visit the warmth!!

emily+brett said...

oh my! i think that would be the hardest thing to watch and go through!! what a tough mommy you are! i wish you could have stayed up at bear lake. we would have been able to come but we had a idaho ski trip already planned. it would have been fun to get to know you guys better.

Brittney G. said...

I'm so sorry, I had to go through that same thing with Aliana....I was crying. Glad you got it figured out!

Lindsay said...

O man! I am sorry you have all been sick! hope things are better! babies don't deserve sickness its so hard :(